Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

Strep throat w/out going to the Dr.? Does Strep REQUIRE anti..headache

Is there a way to tell if I have Strep throat w/out going to the Dr.? Does Strep REQUIRE anti-biotic----can it go away w/out anti-biotic? My throat is VERY sore when I swallow & have slight congestion & headache --that's all.
thank you !!!

Thank you for writing in today. Generally, strep has a real beefy red appearance. With some cases of strep, there may also be an exudate (the pus pockets) and petechiae (spots) along the upper palate. However, strep does not always present with classic symptoms. I understand why people don't want to rush to the provider right away; however, strep can cause some complications if not treated appropriately. You may want to consider a visit, especially if you have had the sore throat for a few days. I hope this helps. If you have additional questions or need clarification, please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

thank you. One more ? -- could I wait for it to get better on it's own -a few more days, if I can tolerate it and it doesn't get worse? (I can't afford an office visit/ strep test)

thanks Lisa

I wouldn't wait too long. If you gargle with salt water and notice it's getting better in a couple days, then that's a good sign. However, if it becomes progressively worse or you don't notice an improvement over the next day or two, I would recommend an evaluation. I hope this helps. Lisa