Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...

Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

I have white fingernails with pink tips and the pink tips have

I have white fingernails with pink tips and the pink tips have white spots in it.
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 4 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. I want to provide you with the best possible information, so I do have a few questions. Do you have any medical conditions? I am especially interested in any liver, kidney, skin, or autoimmune diseases? Any recent change in stress level? How is your nutrition? Are you eating a well balanced diet? How long have you had the change in your finger nail appearance? With regard to the pink tips, how far down the nail do you see the pink tip? Can you describe the white spots more indepth, location, size, and shape? Do you still see the half moon at the bottom part of the fingernail? Age, gender, and ethnicity? If you have a picture of your nails available, it is possible to upload the image using the tool bar. Please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have no medical conditions that I am aware of, I have always been very healthy. Im in college now and I deal with alot of stress on a daily basis. My nutrition is not bad, i take a daily multivitamin and a 500mg vitamin c everyday, along with 1000mg fish oil three times a day. I eat a serving of fruit every morning and usually have about 1 serving of vegetables a day. My fingernails have been white since I could remember, but have recently turned pink on the tips about 2mm in. Inside the pink tips are white spots, some small and round and some bigger with rectangular shapes. I do not have the half moon at the bottom of the fingernail its just white like the majority of the nail. I am 19, male, and white. I dont have a camera either so unfortunately i cannot upload a picture, I feel fine and i exercise daily, if anything im a little fatiqued sometimes, but nothing serious.

Hello;

Thank you for responding to the questions. The information is quite helpful. Well, basically, whenever there is a change in the nails, certain things should be considered. Physical and environmental changes are the first things that should be considered. Certain products in our environment, specifically those that you could have direct contact with, can change the characteristics of the nails. However, environmental exposure is less likely to create a change in the "band" you mention. Therefore, physical causes should be considered. Nail changes can be a manifestation of a more significant underlying disease, such as renal, hepatic, or autoimmune disorders. Now, with this being said, given your age and health status. I suspect this may be more nutrition and stress related. When the body is under stress, there is a higher metabolic demand. It's great that you are taking the supplements; however, supplements can't replace a healthy, well rounded diet. It's great that you are eating some fruit and vegetables, but there is room for improvement. Also, I question your protein intake. At this point, I don't think you need to worry too much about the changes in your nails. However, it really should be evaluated. Let your provider take a look. In addition, he/she may want to do some simple blood work, such as blood counts, renal function, hepatic function, albumin, and thyroid function. These tests will really be helpful in ruling out any underlying conditions, such as anemia, renal insufficiency, hepatic issues, malnutrition, and hypothyroidism. Again, I suspect this may be more stress and nutrition related, but you should consult with your primary provider and have a workup. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa

Experience: Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner