Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

I have a 2yr old girl with a fever of 102 currently after tylenol,

I have a 2yr old girl with a fever of 102 currently after tylenol, no cough/wheezing, no sneezing/runny nose, she was acting fine most of the weekend with just the fever and a slight lethargy but presently she feels like her heart is racing, i attempted to take her bp/hr with an electronic wrist cuff and it was 99/73 with a Hr of 143, what are the normal ranges?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing in today. The normal range for a toddler heart rate is 70-80 beats per minute. The blood pressure range for a toddler girl is roughly 100-110 systolic (upper number) and 60-65 diastolic (lower number). Now, with this being said, if you are using a wrist cuff meant for an adult, the readings may not be accurate. You could consider re-checking her heart rate manually, using the femoral heart beat. At this point, if her heart rate is elevated, this could actually be due to the fever itself. Fevers tend to cause rapid heart rates. In addition, since she has had a febrile illness for a few days, dehydration can cause a rapid heart rate. At this point, if her heart rate is elevated, you may want to consider calling her pediatric provider's office. He/she will have a provider on call. In addition, you may want to discuss increasing fluids and alternating Tylenol and Motrin to control her fever. Some viral illnesses can actually just manifest as fever and lethargy. However, for some children, a few days of febrile illness can lead to some significant dehydration, especially if the child was lethargic and not drinking well. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or need clarification, please let me know. Lisa

I apologize. I typed the wrong heart beat range. It is actually 90-140 bpm. I accidentally typed the teen range. I apologize. However, again, if her heart beat is elevated, i would still consider consulting her pediatric provider. Again, I apologize for my error. Lisa