Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

friday i thought i had a bladder infection. dr. thought it

friday i thought i had a bladder infection. dr. thought it was a kidney infection. ran tests for kidney function, haven't heard yet. treated with bactrim. late this afternoon, stopped urinating, mild back pain, nausea, small amount of blood in urine, fever. take lots of meds for bi-polar and related disorders (abilify, trazodone, wellbutrin, cymbalta, klonopin, strattera, melatonin). what should i do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 6 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. Based on the information presented here, there is some concern. At this point, I would recommend calling your provider's office. There will be a provider on call. He or she will likely want you to be evaluated. I will explain. Your symptoms could be a manifestation of kidney infection or other underlying kidney issue. The fact that your not urinating, or even if your urination is diminished, is a bit of a red flag necessitating more prompt treatment. In addition, some of the other symptoms, such as the nausea and fever, also warrant more prompt evaluation, since kidney infections can cause some septic symptoms. I realize that no one likes the "contact your provider" answer, but sometimes it is necessary. If you can't get ahold of the on call provider, you may want to consider an Urgent Care center. Also, I will mention that Bactrim can cause nausea; however, bactrim should not cause the other associated symptoms. In addition, your condition should have improved, not worsened, since starting the Bactrim. I hope this helps. Lisa

If you have any additional questions or would like clarification, please let me know. Lisa
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
doc not available. would you recommend ER or wait until tomorrow
Really, it depends on your situation. Since I can't assess you, it is a bit more difficult. Let me ask you this. Is the discomfort significant? How many hours since you last urinated? Was there a large amount of blood in that urine? How high is your temp? Any chills or sweating? Please let me know. Lisa
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

discomfort - moderate

eight hours since i urinated

temp is 99.5

small amount of blood

lots of sweating

One last question, if you try to urinate now, are you able to, even if just a small amount?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
At this point, it's a judgment call. I really can't provide specific instruction, since I am limited by the online format. Therefore, I would advise you to use your judgment. If you feel it can wait until the am, then you could consider waiting. However, if your symptoms get worse, specifically the pain or the temp, or if you start vomiting or having large amounts of blood in your urine, then you will want to be evaluated. If you feel that holding off until the am is prudent, which I can understand, given the cost of an ER visit, I would recommend calling your provider's office first thing in the morning and getting an acute visit appointment. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Lisa