CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I have pain near both of my neck glands below both ears. It

Customer Question

I have pain near both of my neck glands below both ears. It started on the left side for about 2-3 weeks and now for the last week is tender on the right side too. There is no swelling and my CBC came back normal.... What could this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 4 years ago.
Any ear pain or discharge? Any scalp infection?

Can you feel you glands?

Have you been to a doctor ? What did he advised?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No ear pain. I went to a Dr and he said he didn't feel anything strange with my glands. I can feel both glands but the pain is right behind them both. The Dr said he wanted to have a CBC. We did that and it came back normal.

No scalp infection either
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 4 years ago.
How severe is pain?

Is pain constant?''

How big are your glands?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The pain is fairly constant. It is not a terrible pain. May 4 of 10, but it has been almost a month now. It usually hurts more at night, but during the day as well. My glands seem like normal size.
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 4 years ago.
Any neck pain or stiffness?

Thanks

Edited by Dr. AM. MD. on 2/21/2010 at 1:20 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Am I supposed to click accept answer? I don't think we are done yet...
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 4 years ago.
No you are not suppose to click i was asking for addiction information.

It was by mistake came as answer.

Please do not click accept.

Thanks

Need to know,

Do you suffer Any neck pain or stiffness?

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do have minor neck pain on the left side running down a bit
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for all the information.

ANY HEADACHES?

Edited by Dr. AM. MD. on 2/21/2010 at 1:30 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for all the information and your patience with me.

Usually pain occur in glands due to infection and when they are enlarged.

Since you do not have any ear infection and your blood work is normal this doesn't seems to be cause.

Other possible cause is muscle pain or cervical spine disc disease which can cause such symptoms along with neck pain.

I would advise you to wait and watch as you have already been to a doctor.

If pain persist even after pain killer then you need to get your self examined by a specialist and get investigation like X-ray done.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: I would like another opinion.
I would like another opinion
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
Hi...I was reading over your post and I agree fully with the Dr. I have another thought... sometimes allergic reactions to foods /meds/supplements and environment can cause this sensation. Have you been taking any new supplements or eating a new food or eating one food in particular?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, I have not done anything new as far as food or anything else i can think of. I was in Spain a week before this started.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
Why don't you do this... try taking some benadryl, for two days or so, just to see if this may be allergy related, after that come back to this window and let me know how you're doing....we'll keep trouble shooting till we figure something out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try that
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
Come back and let me know how it goes, ok?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Camille, is it really possible that this is from stress?? I have heard this on other occassions (not for this situation).... I know stress is powerful, but really??

I will still try and get back to you. thanks again.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
hummm.... Stress can cause amazing things...but I do think there is a physiological cause for your problem. Just wondering about your teeth... did you have your wisdom teeth pulled? Dental problems can cause the symptoms you are experiencing also.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have my wizdom teeth still
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
all the more a possibility. Anything feel sensitive in the back of your mouth when you push down on the gums back there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no... But hey, I know you dont work for free... And I can't offer much but if you want, I will accept this answer and start another case... I know it's not much : /
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
We don't need to start over and you only need to pay ONCE:- ) that message about paying comes up automatically every time I answer you...just disregard it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ty... Also, the two parts of my neck that hurt, hurt much more at night.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
This is typical of all pain, because sensitivity is at it's peak when everything else is quiet and there's less to distract us from the pain.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hmmm... I suppose that is true. But for example last night, I had friends over and the pain seemed to get stronger even though the house had people and was fairly active. I really do not like to take benadryl because it makes me really sleepy. It's been a long time since i took it, but i'm really sensitive to medications.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
Try taking only 25 mg ...or 12.5mg, get the liquid. If it's allergy related you should notice some improvement.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, will do. thanks for being patient with me. It is not typical with today's medical system... I really appreciate it.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
I am happy to help you...really;-)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Camille, I just remembered that you asked me about supplements. First of all I did have a cold for 3 weeks 2 weeks before this started. I took amoxicillian for it and it cleared. I get colds more often and stronger than anyone i know. I NEVER get a cold for a couple days like my wife or friends. It's almost always 2-4 weeks and I have to take antibiotics almost every time. Also, I started taking magnesium daily. I am doing this because I have had a lot of skipped heart beats and flutters over the last few years and even though about 4 years ago Dr said I was fine after doing tests, they bother me. The Magnesium seems to help a bit.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
ok...stop the magnesium. Don't take the benadryl yet... see what happens in a few days of not taking the magnesium. Can you actually feel your lymph nodes in your neck? Another thing... lymph nodes swell anytime there is a nearby inflammation or infection. It's possible this is all due to the cold you had, as a virus can cause enlarged lymph nodes and tenderness for an extended period of time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will stop the magnesium. I cam feel my glands but they don't seem swollen. Just tender.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry for the delay in responding. If you can feel them and they are tender this is an immune response....to something. We just have to figure out what that something is:-)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Please dont apologize... you have been with me all day...
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
:-) ok...so lets try the things mentioned and see what happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am going to do one thing at a time. For now, just going to stop the Magnesium
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
good approach. See what happens after a few days.