Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

February 20, 2010 This is what my physician emailed me Thursday,

February 20, 2010

This is what my physician emailed me Thursday, 2/18/2010: There are scattered fibroglandular elements in the right breast that could obscure a lesion on mammography. The previously demonstrated breadt density almost completely resolves with compression and is probably benign. No significant masses, calcifications, or other findings are seen in the breast. PROBABLY BENIGN in capital letters.

No abnormailities were seen sonographically in the right breast.
IMPRESSION: NEGATIVE - FOLLOW-UP RECOMMENDED
There is no sonograpjic evidence of malignancy. A follow-up right mammogram in 6 months is recommended to demonstrate stability.

My quesion is IS THIS CANCER?? CAN this diagnosis lead to it?? They are clearly saying ITS "PROBABLY BENIGN", which does not put me at ease. What can I do in the meantime, while I wait for six months to do a follow up mammo?? My physician tells me there is nothing I can do.

Your prompt response is appreciated.

MG
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Saurabh Joshi replied 4 years ago.

This "probably benign" lesion is a BI-RADS category 3 breast lesion, that is a universal classification based on Mammographic appearance.

It is found that less than 2 % of Probably Benign lesions ( BI-RADS Cat 3 ) eventually turn out to be Malignant.

This is why a biopsy is not immediately recommended and a 6 month follow up is advised.

You cannot actively do anything that would increase the probability of this turning out to be benign after 6 months.

Please find more information here :

http://radiology.rsna.org/content/225/3/918.full
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Kindly answer questions below:

1) How did this (BI-RADS Cat 3) breast lesion occur?? if in fact thats what it is.

I do work out five to six days a week but not excessive routine or reps, and lift 5 to 8 pound dumb bells, 2) could that have been a contributer to lesion in my breast??

3) What do they mean by scattered fibrograndular??

4) What causes this condition?

5) Should I look for specific signs on my breast?

6) Is it feasible to have mammo done prior to 6 months if I experience pain, disoloratio on my breast?

Please respond.

1. This lesion is probably a Cyst, or a Lipoma ( aggregation of Fat ) , a Hemangioma ( aggregation of blood capillaries ), a fibroadenoma or a neurofibroma ( nerve tissue ) these are not cancers, but benign proliferations of tissue. This can occur without any particular reason like exercise or diet etc. These can be familial or idiopathic ( occur without any cause).

2. Exercise is unlikely to contribute to this.

3. Fibroglandular is a type of breast tissue not abnormal.

4. Answered in 1.

5. Pain, discharge etc should warrant an earlier examination, routinely by Ultrasound.

6. You can have an Ultrasound before 6 months, as it does not involve radiation and is just as sensitive.

As the Ultrasound did not detect any abnormality, it is most probably a benign issue or just normal breast tissue and not a pathology.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1) What will be the next step after following up with mammo in six months???

a) if condition remains as is, b) if condition becomes malignant??

2) Can I take medication for current condition?? Anything??

3) Can I still have a BI-RADS cat 3 and breast cancer together??

4) Is this a condition that should be shared with family?

If this is suspected to be a malignancy, then it would need to be biopsied, after a repeat mammogram in 6 months.

You cannot take any medication for this.

Breast cancer is BIRADS 5 and 6, your level 3 is "probably benign" that is there is 2 % chance of this being cancer.

This most probably is just normal dense breast tissue, you need not panic, let the follow up scan take place, if this is the same then you need not do anything.

You can ask for any history of breast cancer in your family that can increase suspicion in your case, and push for an earlier follow up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I recently (today) learned my grandmother, mothers mom, had breast cancer at a young age, in her mid 30s, it was in the early stages and so she recovered, and it never returned. My mother has never had breast cancer, she is the only female of four brothers. I have a sister that is 25 and she has no signs of breast cancer. My mothers brother was diagnosed with colon cancer last year, he is in his early 60's, he recently completed chemo.

1) Is this something I should report to my personal physician??

2) Would this require the need for an earlier mammogram??

3) How can it be determined exactly what I have?

You mentioned cyst, lipoma etc.,

4) How can it be poin pointed wht it is??

5) Must I wait six months to find out?

6) Is there alternate testing that can be done now? other than biopsy?

I'm health conscious and I exercise, and so I'm eager to be proactive and not simply sit around and wait. There has to be something I can do to find out exactly what it is now instead of waiting, and wasting valuable time that can ultimately save me.

7) What else do you recommend that I do??

Look forward to your response.

I am going to opt out of this conversation as you do not seem to be accepting any of my answers.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: I'm very concerned about my diagnosis, and it appears that the expert does not wish to answer all of my questions, I would prefer an expert that will provide answers to doubts I have. Breast cancer is a serious and critical topic, and I need someone that will be more sensitive to my questions and condition..
I'm very concerned about my diagnosis, and it appears that the expert does not wish to answer all of my questions, I would prefer an expert that will provide answers to doubts I have. Breast cancer is a serious and critical topic, and I need someone that will be more sensitive to my questions and condition.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It appears this expert has opted out of our conversation, I'm requesting someone else to answer last set of questions please.

Thank you.

Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 4 years ago.

Hello. I am going to try to help you answer your questions.

1) Is this something I should report to my personal physician?? -- yes, family history of early breast cancer is very important to report to your physician.

2) Would this require the need for an earlier mammogram?? -- you would not need an early mammogram if one was suggested to be done in 6 months. Results of the mammogram says NEGATIVE which means there is no evidence of cancer. The only reason to repeat a mammogram in 6 months is to make sure that some dense tissue in your breast is not hiding something behind (very unlikely).

3) How can it be determined exactly what I have? -- mammogram is the only can determine if there is a suspicious density on the mammogram. If there is a suspicious density, then biopsy is the only thing that will be able to exactly determine what is going on. However, your mammogram did not show any suspicious densities, therefore, there is nothing there to biopsy.

You mentioned cyst, lipoma etc.,

4) How can it be poin pointed wht it is?? - again, mammogram can just show a density. If there is a suspicious density, then you will get an ultrasound (which sounds that you had). Ultrasound can differentiate between a cyst, lipoma and a cancerous density. To confirm the exact diagnosis, biopsy is needed.

5) Must I wait six months to find out? -- if the radiologist suggested waiting 6 months, it is safe to assume that you do not need to have a sooner mammogram. However, for your piece of mind and if your insurance pays for it, you can ask your doctor to repeat your mammogram in 3 months.

6) Is there alternate testing that can be done now? other than biopsy? - You can discuss with your doctor doing an MRI of your breast. MRI of the breast is highly sensitive in determining breast cancer, however, it is very expansive and insurance may not approve it. However, it is worth pursuing this.

7) What else do you recommend that I do?? -- I would encourage you to wait. Your mammogram did not suggest anything that needs to be biopsied. For your own piece of mind you can talk to your doctor about doing an MRI of the breast or to repeat mammogram in 3 months. Also, I would suggest you do monthly breast exams and if you feel a lump, address it with your doctor.

I hope you find this information helpful. If you need any clarification or have any additional questions, please let me know and I will be glad to assist you further.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please click the green "ACCEPT" button, otherwise your deposit stays with JustAnswer and I do not get compensated for my work.

Best wishes,

Julia

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your quick response Julia and I appreciate your sensitivity to this matter.

I will follow up with my physician about the above for my piece of mind.

I look forward to following up with you in the very near future.

Thank you once more.

I am very happy I was able to help you. Please feel free to follow-up at any time. I will be happy to help you.

Julia

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.