Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

What could cause my feet to tingle and burn Background

What could cause my feet to tingle and burn?

Background: It just started a few days ago. It's happened the last two nights when I lay down in bed, but doesn't bother me after I fall asleep. It also happens when I get home in the evening and sit down. It's usually much warmer at home, my feet are usually cold all day.

I mention that it's warmer at home because sometimes, the sensations remind me of when you're out in the cold and then you go into a warm room and your nose actually burns and tingles as it warms up. Of course, that doesn't explain why it happens when I lay down in bed.

I do sit cross-legged a lot, don't kow if that matters but thought I'd throw it out there.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

Do you have any medical problems?

Do you have any back pain?

Any change to actual color or temperature of the feet?

Are you a smoker?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have med problems, yes, but I don't know if they're related. I have hidradenitis suppurativa (skin condition causing infection in sweat glands), I have anxiety, I have GERD.

I don't have any back pain, but I did mess up my knee last week. Not seriously, but still...

I don't know how to measure the temp of ones' feet...they're cold in the day, to the point that I wear two pairs of socks...and they're better when I'm home. No change in color.

Yes, I'm a smoker.

Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

The first thing is that you need to stop smoking. Cold feet could be due to poor circulation and smoking will make this worse. If you work outdoors it is essential that you have adequate footwear to deal with adverse weather owing to the risk of frostbite.

The tingling and burning sensation may be related to the circulation and weather conditions, however it is also possible for a problem with the nerves to cause burning and tingling. (Peripheral Neuropathy). There are many possible causes of peripheral neuropathy so if this is a new onset symptom then you will need to see a doctor in person for a full history and clinical examination. You may need some blood tests to rule out diabetes and thyroid problems as well as checking your kidney and liver function.

In the meantime, do check your feet daily for any signs of injury such as cuts or infection and keep them warm.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have anxiety/panic - so sorry - but I need some reassurance here -

Is this something I can take care of next week with my doctor or do I need to go into the ER because it could be potentially dangerous? I mean, I can get into my Dr. next week, but I need to know that I can relax about it until next week gets here...

Also, I don't work outside. Because of my anxiety, I stay at my parent's house in the daytime and they keep their temp at like 65-66.

Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

If this is the only problem that you have then it is not an emergency and you can wait till next week to see a doctor.

If you had a viral illness and were otherwise unwell then I would suggest an out of hours clinic for a check up. But you do not mention anything, and in fact this could be no more than the effect of changing from a cold house to a warmer house.

Try not to stress about this.

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.