Dr.S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(Internal medicine/cardiology) MRCP(R) U.K

I am 39 weeks pregnant and at my last appointment with the

I am 39 weeks pregnant and at my last appointment with the midwife, she found a slight infection in my urine and I have been given cefalexin pills (500mg) to take. However I do not have any symptoms of a infection and I do not feel ill. The leaflet with the pills says do not take if breast feeding or pregnant and I 39 weeks and planning to breast feed. I therefore wonder if I should be taking this pills when I dont feel ill. I have asked for a second urine test to be done but I am worried the result will take too long to come back to me and I might be harming the baby but not getting rid of a infection but on the other hand, I dont want to be taking drugs that I dont need to be, can you advise please. Thanks

Thank you for your question,

No medicine is absolutely safe in pregnancy and breast feeding.

Regarding cefalexin this medicine is known to cause harm to the baby in initial 3 months of pregnancy.

In the last three months its effects are not well known due to lack of evidence of harm to

baby. In breast feeding this medicine can appear in milk and can effect the baby so its

use should only be restricted to very serious infections.

I hope this answers your question.

Edited by Dr.S.A Alam on 2/19/2010 at 3:26 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your swift and helpful reply. As I have no symptons of a infection, I would think from your reply that I do not need to take these pills - would you say that was a fair. If I felt ill or had symptoms I think I would consider taking these pills, but I really dont want to risk taking drugs that I dont need to. Thanks again
Thank you for your input,

Yes if there are no symptoms then this medicine should not be taken as it can be harmful to the baby.

Take care

Edited by Dr.S.A Alam on 2/19/2010 at 3:38 PM EST