Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I hurt my back muscles while shoveling snow. Please help

I was shoveling snow and hurt my muscles around my lower back and upper back. It's not my spine, it's the muscles. When I put on a Icy-Hot patch on my muscles and take a Vicoden it feels better. Do you think it is just a pulled muscle and will need time to heal? My right lower muscle is swollen but my spine is fine. It's the right muscle where I was throwing the snow from the shovel.

Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 6 years ago.

Sounds like you have strained your back muscles and are having some pain/spasms from overuse.

You can continue to rest the back off and all day (but don't lie down all day) and discontinue the Vicodin as soon as possible so you can start something like Advil or other anti-inflammatory drug (as long as you are not allergic or have a medical condition that would prevent you from taking them) to help with the soreness. Advil/Motrin/Aleve are all good choices for this type of pain.

Warm showers, anti-inflammatory drugs, massage, and rest are the best thing for you right now.

If after 2-3 more days, your back is not better, you will most likely need to obtain a prescription for something stronger like Flexeril (muscle relaxer) or possibly even have some imaging to make sure there is nothing else going on. Most likely, if you have no history of back pain, you have probably just overworked the muscles.