Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

If my ng/ml level for amphetimine(adderall) on a monday was

Customer Question

If my ng/ml level for amphetimine(adderall) on a monday was 1811ng/ml how many mg would I have had to take on a that previous saturday. please help
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

Helo, may I ask the reason for the question?

Was this sustained release medication?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not sure if it was sustained release medication or not i think it was the reason for the question is a private matter
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

The problem is that the body metabolizes drugs differently. Sustained and immediate release will have different profiles, and individuals will handle them differently based on factors including kidney function as well as liver enzyme profiles.

A specific answer to your question is not possible based just on the drug level without further information.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it was sustained released
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

The half life for amphetamine is about 10 hours, so the timing of the original consumption as well as when the blood test was taken is important. Peak levels for therapeutic dose of 20mg for a group of adults varied from 2000 to 6000ng/ml.

So the dose level stated suggests a lower dose or a longer time period. As there are so many confounding factors, I am sorry that at the moment I cannot be more specific.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
original cunsumption was between 1030-1200 saturday night the urinalysis test was monday between 2:00-4:00 in the afternoon
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

I am afraid that my resources do not allow me to make a more accurate prediction. pH and dilutional effects of urine, serum protein levels and binding are other factors that cause an inability to be more accurate.

If this is your urine sample, then it is easier to correlate the actual amount taken and the urine result because the starting point is known. If this is not your urine sample, then anyone analyzing the results would be considering whether this was to prove an overdose, or to just confirm that the patient is using their medication as prescribed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the actual amount taken was 10mg or a 30mg pill i no longer have the bottle
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i meant to say capsule not pill
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

To be honest, with this small amount of drug and the fact it was over 24 hrs after taking before sample checked then it would be difficult to be 100% sure which was taken. As the level was not overly high then 10mg is most likely.

Do you have any other capsule left? We can identify capsules by shape, size, color and markings.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i do not have any other capsules left i just know that i was given either a 10,20, or 30 mg capsule saturday night and my results from the urinalysis is 1811ng/ml im just trying to find out if it is possible to get that ng level on a monday from taking one of these and wich one it was
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.
Did you see the capsule? What was the color?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it may have been orange on one side clear on he other
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.
An orange capsule that is clear on one side is commonly 30mg. Have a look here
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
would 30mg of that capsule give a reading of 1811ng/ml within the time frame a stated
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.
It could do, especially if this was a once off use only. So many things affect the urine results that a 20mg difference in concentration is not easy to pick up. All we can say for sure is that you did have Adderall but at a dose that was within normal therapeutic levels rather than being an overdose.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so it is possible to get the ng reading i stated with a 30mg capsule within that time frame
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

Yes because peak would have occurred long before the urine was collected. Absorption is also affected by presence of food (or not) in the gut.

If you recognized the appearance then that seems appropriate

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thats the thing i am guessing on the color
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

You can look at all the range at this page here

You can see that the color is easy to differentiate between the strengths.

Why is the exact dose so important?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the exact dose is so important because i need to know if that dose wether it is 10,20,or 30will give me that ng level i stated
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

Yes, but why is knowing the exact dose important.... is it a legal matter?

If you took a dose that was not prescribed, then the consequences are the same regardless of dose.

If this was something that you needed to know absolutely then you would have needed testing at a much earlier stage because in medicine we use two timings. Peak and trough levels (depending on the drug), having a test so far after the original capsule adds a high degree of uncertainty.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
would a 10mg give me the ng level i stated within the time frame i stated
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

As I have stated, the levels are difficult to predict with all the various factors. I have spent a lot of time looking up various resources and pharmacology textbooks. I regret that I will not be able to commit to a specific answer between 10 and 30.

Your individual metabolism and food intake on the night means that your levels might be different to another taking exactly the same dose.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is it possible to get that reading from a 20 mg capsule
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

We cannot pin down the exact information between 10-30mg on a level that was taken so far after dosing.

If this was something that you bought without prescription, there is also no guarantee that the stated dose was the actual contents.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can i get another expert are there any toxicologist on this website
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

No toxicologist, there is another expert with experience of drug testing, I'll send him a message although I do not know when he will be in.

You still have not mentioned why the exact dose is so crucial?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is crucial because i need to know what dose will give me that ng level within the time frame i stated the 10,20,30 or all of them
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

Can you explain what difference it makes knowing the exact dose. Who else will be looking at the results?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just me
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for trying to help me you have been chatting with me all day and i appreciate it im sure you are an expert in what ever it is you do but probable not this subject, if this site had real experts(on my question) it's not a very hard question, yea there are variables but a toxicologist(an expert in the feild) would be able to answer the question.