Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

When I cough the righ side of my chest hurts

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Are you having any fever?
Are you bringing up any phlegm when you cough?
Are you feeling short of breath?
Where in the chest is the pain? The side? Front?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
NO phlegm, just a shoirt 'small ' cough. NO shrtness of breath. Short pain on right side front. Temp is 97.3. Also I woke up very Dizzy this morning. The Dizziness happens once in a while. Once it sort of lasted for 2-3 days. I did not see a Doctor for the Dizziness.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Is the dizziness a spinning sensation? Lightheadedness?
Is the dizziness constant? Worse if you turn your head or roll over?
Are you having any heart palpitations?
Do you take any medications?
Is the pain in the chest only with the cough?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dizziness sort of spinning (I guess a bit of light headedness) D. is constant now. Worse when I turn head. No Heart palpitations at this time (but have had it at other times) Meds are Lipitor 20 mg; Tramadol 300mg; Exforge 5-160 (but I started taking on my own an extra half pill in the AM lately withourt consultibg my DR. as my blood pressure was a bit high in the 35-55 range; Bupropion 150mg; and Arthritis Tynel PM mainly to help my getting to sleep.Pain is only when I have a short cough.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the additional details.

The pain that you are having with your cough may simply be muscular since it only occurs with the cough. It is also possible that you have something called pleuritic pain, which is inflammation of the lining of the lung (called the pleura). Typically, this type of pain is sharp and is worse with coughing or with a deep breath.

I do have to be honest and say that I feel that you need to discuss your dizziness with your doctor. The underlying causes of dizziness are multiple. Anemia, inner ear disturbances, irregular heart rhythms, high blood pressure are just a few potential causes.

I recommend calling your doctor today. You may need a chest xray, ekg, blood pressure check and blood work.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!