Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

My husband has snored since I can remember. His whole family

Customer Question

My husband has snored since I can remember. His whole family snores and now that we are married it gets to the point where we can't sleep in the same bed anymore. A doctor told him a few years back that his snoring is caused by enlarged adenoids. Is there anyway to reduce snoring without having to get surgery? This is a major problem in our marriage since we both seem to not be not getting good sleep. The doctor also said he could not get surgery for this (not sure why).
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 6 years ago.
I suggest you get a sleep apnoea study done for him,as also see a good ENT surgeon who may do a adenectomy if required.If he is obese ,losing weight will help.The position in which he sleepsmay also cause snoring as the supine position will appose the soft palate and close the nasopharyngeal space.A varity of oral appliances are available which may help if you want to avoid surgery.The ENT surgeon can examine him,and assess the cause and advise you accordingly.If the sleep apnoea study is positive,the use of a C-PAP/BiPAP machine will help.Pharyngeal and nasopharyngeal remodelling may be required if the other measures do not work.A option is the PIllar Palatal Implant which involves implanting 3 polyethylene mesh implamts in the soft palate muscles preventing its collapse.