Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

reddish bump/lump on the back of my left calf..ingrowing hair..shaving

I noticed on Saturday (so only 2 days ago) that I had a reddish bump/lump on the back of my left calf. First thoughts were it may be an ingrowing hair from shaving. Put hot water on it. Appears to be a small white bump head in the middle. Then there is a pulp mound which goes round from the white head probably about half a cm – 1 cm all round it. Feels firm under finger. I have been putting savlon cream on it. Anyway I am six months pregnant so didn’t want to wait until it gets worse! Want to nip it in bud now. Docs cant fit me in until Thursday so 3 days away. Well been on internet saw things like MRSA and all sorts (totally hypochondriac anyway and got in a panic) thinking the worst and negative thoughts just esculating. Need some perspective. So I guess I want some logical reassurance that this is common and easy to treat! And what to look for. I am going to go to docs but want to be vigilant incase. It is painful but then it is on my calf muscle! ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

Greetings.

This is likely to be boil or carbuncle. You can apply Betadine solution on it which is available over the counter. Most of the time they subside on their own / spontaneously. If the pain, redness, tenderness increases or fever appears, you may need antibiotics earlier, otherwise a watchful waiting can be done. It does not seems to be anything serious.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So in the main they go! i presume these cases on the internet re MRSA and complications are rare!

I am not usually like this but got almost in a panic over it today! think the hormones don't help. is it a normal size about 2cm across, not terrible painfull just soar? also shoudl i continue with the savlon or get the stuff you recommended? betadine? do I need to check its a boil first or will this not hurt?

Skin infections are most likely to be boils or carbuncles, so unless the severity of the symptoms warrant; you may persist with the watchful waiting. Betadine is better than the savalon, so if you go outside; get it from the health store. Internet does not give correct perspective of these things and if you put your symptoms in a search engine; they will fill off the pages with MRSA which unnecessary perturbs the mind. Please do not worry; unless the symptoms I had mentioned comes.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)