Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Experience:  M.D.

I had a CT scan on my sinuses. The results came back with soft-tissue

I had a CT scan on my sinuses. The results came back with soft-tissue opacification in the left maxillary sinus, posterior nasopharyngeal soft tissue thickening most likely due to adenoidal hypertrophy, right ostiomeatal complex is broad possibly caused from a prior uncinatectomy.

My questions are: how can one have adenoidal hypertrophy to the extent that it shows on a CT scan when they do not have any adenoids? Mine were removed almost 27 years ago. My previous CT scan done 6 months prior made no mention of this area. Second, what is a uncinatectomy? I have tried to contact the radiologist but they do not accept calls from patients. I have tried to ask my primary care doctor and she has passed me onto another doctor that I will not be able to see for weeks. I would really appreciate any help that you could provide.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 6 years ago.
Did you have any infection in ENT area recently?
Please reply.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have been sick in general off and on since last July, and have been consistently sick since the beginning of last November. My primary care doctor put me on 4 cycles of antibiotics which did not seem to make a difference. As far as the sinuses go, they do not really bother me very much. I feel like they are full and they have caused my hearing to diminish to a noticeable degree. I have also been getting nosebleeds off and on now for the last week. Other symptoms are multiple swellings in both arms, extreme fatique that impacts my daily responsibilities and a drop in my weight of 11 pounds since the end of November.
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for information.

In uncinetectomy there is foraminotomy of the cervical spine as done in disc herniation in cervical region to braden the foramina.
If you are having enlrgement of the adenoids then its mean you may have some remanent of the adenoids from the previous surgery.

Hope this will help you.

If you are satisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If there is tissue left from the removal of my adenoids, would this have been seen on previous CT scans? I have had 4 total over the last several years and this was the first to say anything regarding that area? How do I know the difference between residual tissue that is swollen enough to make the radiologist believe that there are actual adenoids there or some type of either benign or malignant tumor? My father had throat cancer about 2 years ago and I have a history of oddly located tumors, which have all been benign so far.
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 6 years ago.
For small soft tissue lesions the MRI is the diagnostic modality of choice .It can more clearly define the lesions.
The malignant lesion are generally have a rapid growth with metastasis in nearby area.There are associated clinical signs like enlargement of draining lymph nodes which are generally stony hard .
The benign lesion are regular in shape in comparison to malignant lesions & have there enlargement in the boundary of the capsule of the lesion.This can be seen with MRI.THE BENIGN LESIONS DOES NOT METASTASIZE.

Hope this will help you.

If you ares atisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.