Thank you for your reply.
So it sounds that you've had the infection for the last 20 years or so. In the last 20 years you have progressed to Stage 2 (out of 4 stages) of fibrosis. Fibrosis means scar tissue. When liver biopsy is done, to quantify the damage to the liver, this system of 0-4 is used. Stage 4 means cirrhosis, stage 0 means no scar tissue. So you are right in the middle.
I completely understand your doubts about treatment. Treatment, unfortunately, causes horrible side effects and you have to go through the treatment for 12 months. Also, Type 1A Hepatitis C is resistant to the treatment, with good results of eradication in 65-70% of cases, which leaves about 30% of people still with the virus after the treatment.
However, the good news about going through treatment is that you still have a 70% chance of getting rid of the virus and even if you do not get rid of the virus completely, treatment will help reverse the damage done to your liver. The scarring may go down from stage 2 to stage 1. That is very important.
I, personally, think that waiting for the new drugs is not a great idea. We dont know when something new is coming out and, even if something new is coming out soon, we dont know how effective it will be. The older you get, the more difficult it will be to handle side effects of treatment. Also, there is no way to predict with what speed the virus will continue damaging your liver. You may remain in stage 2 for the next 10 years or the scarring can get worse in the next 3-4 years and you will progress into liver cirrhosis.
So, in my opinion, you should start the treatment. If you body does not get rid of the virus, you will at least improve the damage already done to the liver. This will give you more time to wait for newer drugs to come out. Also, you have to think positive throughout this entire treatment. You have to keep saying "I will get rid of the virus" and truly believe that. I cannot reinforce importance of positive thinking.
I hope you find this information helpful. If you need any clarification or have any additional questions, please let me know and I will be glad to assist you further.
If you are satisfied with your answer, please click the green "ACCEPT" button, otherwise your deposit stays with JustAnswer and I do not get compensated for my work.