Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

hi,am mehnaaz of age 21.I havebeen suffering from a severe

hi,am mehnaaz of age 21.I havebeen suffering from a severe pain in my left arm.I have been taking pain killer but it never stops.Finally,i went to see a doctor who told me that ther is inflammation in my elbow so she injected me with celestone.But it has been 4 weeks now and the pain is still the same.i remember i knocked my elboe last year since then near my wrist started to get swollen and i have got this severe pain.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

Greetings Mehnaaz.

This might not be tennis elbow or golfer's elbow which is tendonitis at the elbow joint, for which you have been injected and treated. Since your pain is from tip of fingers up to your shoulder; this can be pinched nerves in the neck. This can be due to;

1) Herniated/degenerated disc in neck

2) Cervical spondylosis; bone spurs in the neck vertebrae pressing on the nerves.

Following investigations would be required;

1) X-ray of the neck spine

2) MRI of the neck

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG)

Following measures would be helpful;

1) Neck care in the activities of daily living.

a) No working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV.

b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).

c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on back or straight. Available over the counter.

2) Cervical Collar or Brace

3) Cervical traction

4) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen

5) Some physicians do give oral steroids in severe radiculopathy cases, in which pain is quite significant.

6) Physical therapy: gradually increasing exercises from passive stretching to active stretching and against resistance regime.

7) Electrotherapy in the form of TENS, interferential and laser and ultrasound.

8) Hot fomentation

9) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

You can consult following specialists;

a) Orthopedist

b) Neurologist

c) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Actually it's like when i press my elbow it hurts a lot,and if i try to lift something t hurts a lot.this left arm of has become like its no energy in the left arm.when the pan starts the first sign is it gets swollen a lot near my wrist.

A nerve conduction velocity study is able to point the diagnosis and level of pinched nerve. Weakness is associated with the pinched nerve and tells about the severity of the problems. You should get an MRI as soon as possible. The elbow tendonitis can be concomitant with the pinched nerves in the neck and can be due to the injury you had.

The Golfer's elbow has the pain on the inner side of the bone on elbow (and its counterpart tennis elbow on the opposite end, both have same treatment) and has following advised for the treatment;

1) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Motrin / Advil for around 10-14 days.

2) Elbow brace

3) Physical therapy

4) Warm compresses

5) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

These are the initial modalities and if the pain does not respond than the further interventions would be required;

1) iontophoresis, phonophoresis

2) electrical stimulation

3) shock wave therapy

4) local steroid shots

Read the resources;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/golfers-elbow/DS00713

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tennis-elbow/DS00469

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)