Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

Hey !! I am an allergy and sinus sufferer, however, rarely

Customer Question

Hey !! I am an allergy and sinus sufferer, however, rarely ever have an infection. I have noticed over the past few months that when I bend over, cough, laugh hard or strain, I feel "headache" pain in the top of my head, forehead, and back of head. My shoulders feel very "stiff" and the muscles also feel like "they need a desparate massage". After I have coughed, laughed, sneezed, etc. etc., I have no lingering headache. I have a lot of sinus drainage ( crystal clear ) and I am forever, "clearing my throat". The more I read, the more fear I feel that something is wrong and it scares me !! I am a nurse, and "we" are notorius for "diagnosing ourselves" !!! I am one of those nurses who will "NOT" take much medicine, because I immediately start having all the ill "side effects" !! I am 53 years old and living in a 35 year old body---very active, in shape and very OUTDOORS !! I have multiple animals which I contribute my allergies, but refuse to beliveve they are the cause. Please help ! S
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for writing to JustAnswer Health with your question and sorry for the delay, i had your answer written all the way out one time, but lost it due to a problem with the web page.

If you have not tried a "neti pot" to rinse your sinuses, this may be the solution to your problem. Although in Western medicine doctors have recommended using a bulb syringe with saline solution to rinse out the nose, they are also beginning to recommend the use of a neti pot, which originally developed from Eastern Indian medicine, or Ayruvedic medicine. The main difference is that the neti pot is shaped to facilitate the fluid solution running up through the upper sinuses and out the other nostril. The saline takes excess and old mucus along with allergens (like pet dander and pollen) bacteria, fungus etc. This helps the inflammation decrease as well. It is actually not painful if you use the correct saline solution mix. The solution may not go all the way through the sinuses and out the other nostril at first, but if you use it as far as it will easily go, after a few days it will clean out enough mucus to go all the way through. The results can be quite dramatic and relieving.

It will also be important that you keep your pets off your pillows, keep them bathed as much as possible, out of the house as much as possible, or at least keep certain rooms pet free. Wash your linens frequently, and wash your hair and clothes frequently to remove allergens and pet dander. Using a hepa air filter can also help.

For additional helpful information please see these links:

Information on neti pot (sinus rinse)you can buy these in drug stores too: http://www.gaiam.com/product/id/1007372.do

Air Filters: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Breathe-Easier-in-Your-Home-Air-Filter-Guide-8-Simple-Steps.html

sinus remedies: http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/NaturalRemediesforSinusitis.html

Additionally the muscle tension is likely related to the inflammed sinuses in part, but also tension and stress. I can give you links to relaxation exercises that may help you , although getting your sinuses clear should help too.

If you have questions or comments please reply to this post so that I can respond to you until you have the answer that you need.

Edited by Susan Ivy on 2/2/2010 at 1:56 AM EST