A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I kept getting UTI durning a pap found out I had Vaginal E

Customer Question

I kept getting UTI durning a pap found out I had Vaginal E coli. I was treated with ciprofloxacin 500mg four times a day for seven days. It did not work still having the same problem. I am going back to the doc in two days is there any suggestions on what might happen now. On the report it has ciprofloxacin R>=4, moxifloxacin R>=8.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. There will probably be another culture and sensitivity test, to determine if it is still E. coli causing the problem or if it is another bacteria and what it is sensitive to. E. coli is a frequent cause of both urinary tract and vaginal infections because of the nearness of the anus to the vagina and urethra. Wiping from front to back helps keep colon bacteria out of the vaginal area. I've seen a lot more infections in women though since thongs came into fashion. The underwear rubs rectal bacteria forward and causes the infection.