Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I had food poisoning. Its been 9 days now and every morning

I had food poisoning. Its been 9 days now and every morning until noon I have severe cramping and feeling of nausea. I've been eating once a day early evening because I am hungry. Drinking alot of tea and water and jello. taking pepto bismol to coat my stomach because it feels like some puched me in the gut. What can I do and how long will this last.
WHen I first got the food poisoning I ate salmon, 2 hours later I was vomiting and had diarrea. that pasted in 24 hours. the above symptoms have been going on for 9 days.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

With PeptoBismol, you can take an acid blocker like Prilosec and Dramamine (for vomiting). Both are over the counter. Keep taking plenty of fluids. The cramping and nausea denote persistent mild grade intestine infection; so if these symptoms do not subside in a day or two; you would need to get a prescription of antibiotics from your primary care physician.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well its been 9 days does this mean the infection is getting worst. I don't like take antibotics. Is there something else I can do.

Infection may not be worsening, but it may be persistent and is not eradicating. There are not many home measures which are effective when there is a chronic infection, except keeping yourself properly hydrated, eating boiled vegetables and well cooked meals and fresh prepared soups. This may cleanse the intestines in a couple of day. But there are stubborn infection, which do not go away and may need some sort of anti-bacterial.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun