Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

my chest burns on the right side only when i cough

Do you smoke?

How long has this been going on?

Are you currently sick with a cold or other upper respiratory infection?

Do you have any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes , today it just came out of no where,no first time sick this year no other health problems exept smoking,throat feels a little swollen on the right side as well

Thanks for the reply

You are most likely coming down with an upper respiratory illness. Unfortunately, the smoking exacerbates (exaggerates) this. You need to take it easy, drink plenty of fluids and watch out for fever or other new symptoms. If you begin to produce an usual colored sputum (mucus you cough up) like brown, yellow, or blood tinged sputum, you will most likely need a chest xray and antibiotics if any bronchitis or pneumonia is found. Using a humidifier/vaporizer will help with the cough symptoms and the irritation when you cough and with the irritated airway.

Hope this helps....reply back if needed

***** Reply back if needed....Don't forget to click Accept if this information that I have provided has been helpful, I wish you the best! Hope this helps!********

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

is there any over counter med for this no insurance

You can take some over the counter mucinex to help loosen the mucus if you have any, and also an over the counter cough suppressant if you are coughing more than usual.

Edited by Nurse Milli on 2/1/2010 at 11:34 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no mucus as of yet just burn and a little neck swelling trying to get rid of it before it really goes full blown

Unfortunately, if it is viral or bacterial, there is not much you can do over the counter. Just conventional things such as the humidifier, mucinex, and over the counter cough suppressants is about all you do at home.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry for being a pain thank you

No, no pain at all. Hope you feel better soon!