A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Ive just been diagnosed with parotitis. At first he said it

I've just been diagnosed with parotitis. At first he said it was mumps...I'm 58..had the mumps as a child...My teeth, upper and lower on left side, thr side on which the problem resides are causing devastating pain, along with jaw, severe headache and overall feeling of being hit with a hammer.
Do my teeth hurt so much due to the infection? I went to my dentist hours before my GP to assure all that it wasn't dental related. A panoramic was also taken...no sinus issues, nor dental. M.D. diagnosed and gave me antibiotics and Darvacet for the pain (how I will teach while taking Darvacet is beyond me, but it's the only thing that gets close to cutting the pain). I thought Mumps is viral...but antibiotics is for bacterial....??????????????????? Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Mumps is acute viral parotitis. But parotitis (inflammation of the salivary glands) can also be from bacteria, from TB, and from HIV. There is also chronic parotitis from formation of stones in the salivary glands. So far there doesn't seem to be any abscess that would require surgical drainage, or at least the xray didn't show any. Since you have gotten quick attention, the antibiotics should clear it up in a few days. The pain will improve gradually.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But why do my teeth hurt so badly and why is the Darvacet not working...took it over an hour ago.

Any part of your mouth, up to your sinuses, down your neck, and into your ears could hurt due to referred pain.

It takes a while for pain medication to work, especially when you have been hurting for a while. Once you have had a couple of doses, you will arrive at steady state. It is always easier to keep pain managed then it is to get it under control in the first place. Most pain relievers help within a couple of hours of taking them. If you aren't feeling a lot better in the morning, you should call your doctor and let him know you need something stronger for pain. You also really should consider taking a day or two off.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well, that's what he said...but....sigh...the VA snow storm super slammed us, and I have nothing ready to go for a sub.

I see you trained at MCV, I'm in Richmond and teach at Luther Memorial School on Northside.

He also said I was contagious...but....I have had no fever Tha I am aware of.

Yes, it is generally contagious even though you don't have a fever. If you do decide to tough it out, be careful about washing your hands and be sure to keep your mouth closed when you are outside. The cold air can be excruciating. We are in Chesterfield and just saw a snow plow go by our street! It should be a lot easier getting out tomorrow than it was plowing through virgin snow this morning.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist