Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I have a sex partner. He just called and said he may have genital

I have a sex partner. He just called and said he may have genital herpes and thinks he got it from me, as he said he has not been with anyone since 2005. I have no signs of anything, had an annual ob/gyn exam this past summer, and have had no other partners in many years. Could I possibly have this - and have given it to him? Does the annual exam normally detect such things? How would I know if I have it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 6 years ago.

Hi there

No, a routine annual exam would not reveal genital herpes unless you were having a breakout or had had a recent breakout and the GYN identified it during the exam or with blood tests. Honestly, there is no way to know who gave the virus to who as the infected person can carry the virus for years without knowing it. Some have the virus and never have a breakout - some do. The best thing to do is if you are going to be sexually active with this person from here on out, you/he will need to use protection. If he has or thinks he has genital herpes, he needs to be tested and have it confirmed. Genital herpes will be manifested as small (even tiny) blisters that will most likely burn, itch/sting/tingly, and will be red and irritated. Valtrex is given to knockout the breakout but it does not get rid of the virus. Some patients even take Valtrex on a daily basis as it has been approved for daily use now. Valtrex is FDA approved to be used by a person infected with genital herpes to reduce the risk of Herpes Transmission. It's important to remember that Valtrex reduces, but does not eliminate, the risk of transmission. Using condoms along with taking valtrex will significantly reduce (but not eliminate) the chances of Herpes transmission to you if you don't already have the virus. Specific blood test are used to determine whether or not you have the virus or not. So, best thing to do is to have yourself tested.

Hope this helps...reply back if needed

***** Reply back if needed....Don't forget to click Accept if this information that I have provided has been helpful, I wish you the best! Hope this helps!********

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I have had this would/should I have noticed anything - any types of symptoms? The only problems I can ever remember have been some dry, itchy patches on a butt cheek and pains in my lower back right side. I sometimes wondered if that pain was something to do with a kidney infection or something but I never had any abnormal signs when urinating. I have really dry skin all over that sometimes gets itchy and irritated if I don't use lotion, so I did not think anything about that being a problem on my buttock. Now I see that this can sometimes appear in that area. If it were there, wouldn't I have some signs elsewhere as well?

Hi there

No, you don't have to have symptoms of genital herpes to have the virus. Like I said, some people carry the virus but never have a breakout and some do. Genital herpes would not typically look like dry skin. Here is a pretty good picture of what it would look like....

(notice the blistering effect and the redness)....this would also itchy and uncomfortable.