Dr. Nomi
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor,UK

my left leg, behind knee, and up into the thigh and hip whenever I sit

For several weeks I have had pain in my left leg, behind knee, and up into the thigh and hip whenever I sit for more than 15-20. If I get up and move around it seems to go away. Sitting through a church meeting or other meeting where it is difficult to get up and move around can be very painful. I also have a bit of tingling in my left arm. Could I have pinched a nerve somewhere? I don't have the pain if I am standing or walking.
These are signs of a pinched nerve between the vertebral discs.This is probably at L3 level.You need to do one back X ray to confirm this problem.When you sit actually the pressure on back and hence the nerve increases.When you stand this pressure is relieved.Please also see this picture which is showing the nerve supply in area of pain.L3 has origin in back and supply thigh and leg areas.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for that information. I am serving a mission for my church in Fiji. I am not sure how much medical help I can get here. I assume I could get an xray, but beyond that any specialty medical advise is probably not an option. Are there any exercises that I can do to relieve this pain? I will be here for another 8 months and would like to relieve this pain if possible. Thank you
Yes there are some stretching exercises but I will not recommend without a proper diagnosis.Because you know sometimes things aggravate instead of improving.It is recommended that you only take pain killers like Naproxen sodium or Ibuprofen twice a day for one month.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can the anitinflamatories help heal the problem or only aliviate the pain?
Anti Inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen and Naproxen will not cure the problem but will suppress the pain for some time .