Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

there any possibility that my pericarditis could have been caused

In 1973 I was diagnosed with recurring pericarditis. The cause was never identified. Is there any possibility that my pericarditis could have been caused by exposure to dioxin. I served in Vietnam from March 1968 and December 1968 as a combat infantryman in the 1st Cavalry Division and was heavily exposed to Agent Orange.

Thank you.

Steve Root
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 6 years ago.

Hello Steve

The cause of Pericarditis is indeed often idiopathic (or 'unknown') -especially when the major/obvious things have been ruled out like heart attack, viral infection, or if it's due to an already pre-existing condition that one knows they already have (such as Lupus or other autoimmune disease). Having said that, botXXXXX XXXXXne is that Pericarditis is an inflammatory process. So, anything, that enters the blood stream could be a cause...even certain medications. So, it stands to reason that this teratogen (Dioxin) could certainly be a causative agent. I have done some quick research on the internet while typing you this answer and I see that there have been many documented cases of chemical-induced Pericarditis such as from pesticide, herbicide, and fungicide inhalation as well as aluminum phosphide. So, although I do not see any articles yet (still looking) on documented cases of the link between Dioxin and Pericarditis, I am sure they exist.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Will I be provided the references to cases linking dioxins to cause pericarditis?

Yes, if I can find some valid documented cases, I will be happy to give you the links.