Dr.S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(Internal medicine/cardiology) MRCP(R) U.K

Dear Dr. or Nurse, Friday I felt a mild sore throat and

Customer Question

Dear Dr. or Nurse,

Friday I felt a mild sore throat and drainage beginning to run a little down the back of my throat (but not a runny nose). Early morning Saturday I simultaneously had a typical weather-related headache that I have been prone to for some years, which was intensified somewhat by the drainage I continued to notice. In the afternoon, ~3pm, as is a very typical pattern with my headaches, the pain let up and by 6pm I was back to normal except for the drainage.

During hot showers to help 'steam up' my head and loosen the mucous (which helped alot) I noticed some little streaks of blood mixed in with the clear mucous. It is now Tuesday morning, I awoke early today with a stuffy head, symptoms seem to be clearing up, but I again found some blood in my mucous, including ~ 1/4 teaspon of particualrly dark blood, which concerned me somewhat.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.S.A.Alam replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question,

Is there any fever ?

do you have any previous medical illness ?

any tests done ?

any medicine you have taken ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear Dr. S.A. Alam,

I have no fever or previous medical illness, other than many years of the aforementioned sinus or weather headaches that exhibit the same pattern described above. I don't think the drainage and blook-in-mucous problem is related to the headache I had on Saturday, but I wanted to be sure to mention it since I am not a doctor of course.

I have seen doctors before about the headaches, they took x-rays and discovered a small or void in one of my cheekbones (not a sinus cavity) that has no easy outlet for air to equalize to that when there are pressure changes they traced the pain to that.

Only medicine I have ever taken for the headaches is Excedrin (tylenol and aspirin) in recommended doses. Saturday I did not take any Excedrin until after the pain had subsided considerably. If the headache pain is severe enough it makes me nauseous and I don't even want to take aspirin, which was the case Saturday.

Thank you for yout input,

Your problem seems most likely as viral infection of the throat and upper respiratory tract.

As you are passing blood in your phelm so this seems that the throat infection has gone

worse, this can occur when there is some super imposed bacterial infection.

This will require a visit to your doctor as you will require antibiotics to cover this infection.

Other problems that can lead to blood in phelm are

infections like tuberculosis,

bleeding problem/clotting problems.

see this web address

I hope this answers your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Alam,

I suppose you are probably right about that - I will go to a clinic later this morning to be safe.

I really appreciate your response and helpful advice.

Thank you,

Take care and have a nice day.