Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

catscan..feel that 4 months is extremely long for a return to normal

Customer Question

a friend has had major hoarsness for 4 months now which he seemingly
can only attribute to the anesthesia tube - just got a catscan diagnosis
today and the result was your vocal chord is sore -? we both feel that
4 months is extremely long for a return to normal - which in his case
was a clear resonant clear voice - this doctor is suggesting it's a possible
result of acid reflux - ?
Help if you can -
Thank you - Louis
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Has your friend seen an ENT?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes twice
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
What did the ENT say?
Did he note any paralysis or damage to the vocal cord?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just what i said in the first question box - the cat scan only indicates a
'sore' vocal cord -? seems rather general and vague - nothing else
other than the remarks pertaining to his having some acid reflux
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Thanks,

I will be honest, I do not understand what that means as a finding on a CT scan. You cannot see soreness on a CT scan.

Perhaps there was swelling on the scan. It is hard to say without seeing the actual report.

Acid reflux is definitely a possible cause of chronic hoarseness...it is worth treating to see if it helps his symptoms.

I would have expected typical hoarseness from the surgery/ET tube placement to have resolved by now.

An ENT should have seen any paralysis of the vocal cords/polyps leading to his hoarseness.

The CT scan should have picked up on any tumors/cartilage problems in the throat leading to the hoarseness.

I would follow the recommendation for treating the reflux. Although I do agree with you that it is a bit coincidental that it started right after the surgery. Without knowing the exam findings and the CT report, it is hard to comment more.

Dr Abby