Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

i have pain in the general area of my bladder it gets sharp

Customer Question

i have pain in the general area of my bladder it gets sharp at times and hurts when i cough. I am a 28 year old male..
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing to JustAnswer Health with your question.

Have you noticed if there is a stronger odor to your urine recently, or whether you have needed to urinate more frequently? Does you urine look clear, or cloudy, or have you noticed any pinkness to the color?

How much water do you drink daily?

Are you a coffee drinker? If so, aproximately how much do you drink daily?

Do you currently take any medications? If so, what?

Any health conditions?

If you will answer these questions it will help me to provide you with further direction.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
nothing unusual to urine.
no meds
no health conditions
dont drink much water
only one cup of coffe a week
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.

I'd suggest you increase your water intake to at least 8six ounce glasses per day.

You really need to see your doctor and submit a urine sample for lab exam and have a physical exam to determine what is causing this.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this.

I will be away from the computer for a bit, but will reply if you do in a little while.

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.

Do you have any questions? The bladder can get sensitive and some pain can be noticed on coughing or sneezing, or even running for example from inflammation or irritability. A common cause of inflammation would be an infection (which in some cases is not very noticeable, and that is why a urinalysis should be done) or sometimes a bladder can be irritable and sensitive from coffee.

There can be other issues, such as a bladder that does not empty fully, which can lead to a chronic undetected urinary tract infection. If left untreated it can lead to other problems to the bladder musculature or the infection can follow the ureters (the tubes leading up to the kidneys) and cause kidney damage if left untreated. So this is the reason it is important to get unusual pain checked out.

If you do not have insurance and so are hesitant to go to a doctor, there are some urine test that you can buy over the counter in some drug stores now (such as CVS), but this would not be as reliable.

I can also provide you with a list of health department clinics in your area which have low cost or free medical clinics - the fee is based on your income, but is quite low.

Please up date me with your plans.

Edited by Susan Ivy on 2/1/2010 at 9:38 PM EST