Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

Results for 3 Liver Function Tests that I have taken (not for

Customer Question

Results for 3 Liver Function Tests that I have taken (not for any ailment but for insurance purposes) between 2008 & 2009 show that I have high levels of Total Bilibirium while the other aspects (Direct Bilibirium, Total Protein, Albumin, AST, ALT etc) are all within the normal ranges.
Total Bilibirium has consistently been at least 2.2 mg/dl against the normal range of 0.2 - 1.0 mg/dl.
My doctor doesn't think I should be worried, but I'm concerned.
I'm 47 years, and a social drinker - no more than a couple of pints beer on weekends (not every weekend).
Should I be worried?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 4 years ago.
Did you also checked for any problem in urine?
Please reply.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Urine tests done at the same time as the LFT showed no adverse report.
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 4 years ago.
Sorry to ask you again but it is necessary -
Are you taking any medicines or any vitamin preparations?
Please reply.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes I take suplements (multivites, fish oil & glucosamine).
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 4 years ago.
In multivitamin vitamin C affects the test results for the bilirubin.Also false results may be obtained due to samples kept for long time.Please check for this & do not get troubled if you are not having symptoms like yellowness of the skin or dark yellow urine or pale colored stool.

Hope this will be helpful.

------------------------------------------
If you are satisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well I don't know how long they kept the samples in each case of testing, but is it normal to have consistently high Total Bilirubin for all this time?
My urine colour is normal most of the time and my stools are not pale coloured. Also, the only consistent ailment I have is aching joints & back (reason for the glucosamine) but otherwise I'm pretty healthy at my age.
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 4 years ago.

Hello there,

I would like to add something to the above.

It is unlikely that your elevated total bilirubin is due to a sample error since you've had it consistently elevated throughout out a 2 year period.

However, I do not feel that you should worry about it. There is a condition called Gilbert's syndrome in which there is consistently high levels of total bilirubin without elevation of any other liver markers. This is a very common and completely benign condition (often genetical) and will not cause any additional problems for you in the long run. More often then not there are no other symptoms of this condition besides elevated bilirubin.

If you wish to read up on this condition, below is the link:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gilberts-syndrome/DS00743

You might also consider getting an ultrasound of the liver done. Most likely it will come back completely normal, but this will help you ease your mind.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need any clarification. I will be glad to assist.

Julia

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss