Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

i recently had a massage by a therapist ive know for a couple

Customer Question

i recently had a massage by a therapist i've know for a couple years. During the massage she was working my lower abdomen and inner groin she ended up massaging right on my pubic bone and the base of my shaft. I did have quite a bit of scar tissue there most of my injuries are abdomen, groin and lower back. But i've never had a massage where they are almost directly on my pubic and she pushed my scrotum out of the way to press further into the pubic bone. Is this inappropriate? I had pain in there and what she was doing felt beneficial again I've been seeing her for a couple years so I don't think she was making inappropriate gestures...and even though I became quite erect she kept her eyes avoided as to not make me uncomfortable. Do you think she was being professional? what is the muscle that connects your penis to your pubic bone? is that even legal practice?
Category: Health
Expert:  PaulmoJD replied 6 years ago.
It is not inappropriate if this is done in the course of a legitimate treatment. These therapists are trained for this, just like a male seeing a female doctor, if there is a legitimate need based upon their training then it is not inappropriate contact. The fact that you became erect is not the issue, it is the purpose of the contact and if there was legitimate purpose it is not inappropriate, unprofessional or illegal.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sent the question to Nurse milli! was hoping to get an answer from her.
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

At the beginning of the massage, did you ask her to massage your lower abdomen? Did she ask you in the beginning what body part was bothering you?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In the beginning I had asked her for abdominal work yes since most of my soreness is core related. And she has worked on my abdomen/ groin before but not to the extent of direct contact with my penis

Hi there

Ok, well as long as she was asked to work on this area, then it would be deemed appropriate. However, I do not know how massaging the base of your penis would be medically therapeutic. Massaging this area would almost always provoke an erection, so this does not surprise me. In cases like that, if you - at any time - feel the massage is becoming inappropriate, you should let the massage therapist know so you can discontinue the session and the don't go back (even if you have used this person before without incident). However, I did notice that you said it was beneficial, so as long as you are oak with it, it is fine....this is person specific.

***** Reply back if needed....Don't forget to click Accept if this information that I have provided has been helpful, I wish you the best! Hope this helps!********

Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.