Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP
5101698

My daughter had a pap smear and it came back, Level 4. She

My daughter had a pap smear and it came back, Level 4. She also has Level 3 dysplasia. Can you clarify what this means? Does this mean she HAS cancer or does it mean that she has precancer cells. My daughter is 25, divorced and has 2 young children, so I am very concerned as her parent. Futher, my daughter has a coloscopy scheduled for the Feb 11, but her pap smear results came back 2 weeks ago, so if it is that serious, why do you think they are waiting so long to do this next step?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Dysplasia is pre-cancer.

This is why pap smears are a good idea - to detect these problems which may , if not treated , eventually turn into cancer.

The date for her colposcopy on Feb 11th is fine - it would take many months / 1-2 years for dysplasia to change into cancer ( not all of them do this anyways).

Dr Jef