Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I have never been on birth control and took loestrin24fe for

I have never been on birth control and took loestrin24fe for a month, during which time, I have missed pills several times and did not double or triple up when resuming to complete the pack. As a result, I suppose, I had random spotting on some days during that month. once my pack was over, I did not start on a new pack. Approximately 5 days after finishing this irregularly used pack, I had unprotected intercourse. I had started the pack on the first day of my last period and on that count, over 5weeks has passed. Exactly 1 month has passed since the day my period stopped. I have typically had 5 week apart periods. I did all the math for conception and implantation and hcg detection, etc. and suspect an EPT in a week for now should tell whether I am pregnant or not. I really do hope I am and I am simply asking this question here: given the irregular use of my pill, what are the chances that I went into ovulation in the days after finishing the pack? Please reply as the wait is killing me and I did do an EPT (a little to early) that came out negative. Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 4 years ago.

Can you please clarify
Were you sexually active while you were taking the pills ?
LMP ?
On which date you expected your next period ?
Date of unprotected intercourse ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Started spotting December 19. Heavy period December 25. Finished by December 29.

Started taking pill December 19. Unprotected intercourse on December 24 and on January 20.

It is hard to gauge when I will have my next period, given what has gone on with the pills and the intermittent spotting in early Jan. THAT is my question, right? What do you think has happened to my cycle and could I have conceived soon after January 20th.

Does Loestrin24fe stop ovulation or impact ovulation this drastically within a month of irregular pill usage.

Let me put it this way, had I not taken the pill at all, I would have expected to have started my period by now.

Thanks

Ideally the timing of ovulation is 14 days before the next period to come .However timing of ovulation can vary due to variety of factors like stress etc .
So in your case since you missed pills several times there may be a chance that the hormone levels didn't build up enough to stop ovulation .
So in such a scenario if you miss your period it is better to rule out pregnancy in first place .However hormonal imbalance due to pill can also cause delayed periods as well .
In case you don't want to wait for 1 week for urine pregnancy test you can opt for blood test called beta hcg as well which can detect pregnancy on the day of missed period as well .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you have any stats on loestrin and the immidiacy of hormonal control in the female body, ie can hormonal control be off sufficiently within short use and how late of a period can typically be expected?

Thanks

Since you already had taken the pill in a irregular way and missed several pills there may be withdrawal spotting due to missing pills .So your body may take some time to be normal after stopping the pills .
However missed period while on pill ( with a history of missed pills) pregnancy should also be ruled out as a possibility .
I hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What exactly is withdrawal spotting? Is there ovulation at this time? Where is the blood coming from if the uterous lining has not thickened?

A woman using hormonal contraception will typically experience withdrawal bleeding/spotting when there is withdrawal of active hormone.
Sudden with drawal of hormone can cause bleeding and if the uterine lining is thin there is mild spotting .

Also if the bleeding occurs while taking the pill it can be breakthrough bleeding .
It is bleeding while taking the active pills of combined oral contraceptives, or other hormonal contraceptives. The bleeding is usually light, often referred to as "spotting," though a few women may experience heavier bleeding. Breakthrough bleeding is most common when a woman first begins taking oral contraceptives
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am stuck at home with a sick child so cannot make it over to the docs right away.

I now have greater clarity on what might be going on.

To end, I will ask you an unfair question and that is if you had to predict the possibility of my being pregnant under the circumstances, given the potency of loestrin24fe, would you be able to throw me a percentage? Is your gut feeling that of delayed ovulation?

My husband travels most of the year and I am praying for pregnancy but obviously may be a little too hopeful.

Thank you for your time.

Well this is indeed an unfair question .
Well there is no way to actually calculate this in terms of % since various factors are involved like irregular use of pill etc .
So it is basically a guess work only to calculate any sort of % .

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.