Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

my 4yr old daughter and myself (age48) male both have a severe

my 4yr old daughter and myself (age48) male both have a severe cough, it ia accompanied with shortness of breath and difficulty of breathing, especially at night. when we have these episodes it wakes us and feels as if we are choking. we have been taking an albuterol inhaler(perscribed).MY doctor gave me cough medicine with codine which made the breathing situation worse. i no longer take that medicine. what is it i can do for my dauther and myself. is it possible for me at my age to have croup? possible my dauther as well?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Greetings.

Do you have phlegm, fever?

Were chest x-rays done for both of you?

Since how long are both of your symptoms?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no phlegm for daughter, yes for myself no fever for either

no chest xrays done on myself

2.5 to 3 weeks

It seems to be either bronchitis or bronchial asthma. It is not likely to be croup, as croup does not last for so long. A cough which has been going on for so long should be investigated by a chest x-ray, CT scan and lung function test. Both of you would need oral bronchodilators, anti-allergic medications with the Inhalers (which you are taking). That only would treat it effectively. You should talk to your primary care physician about these medications. Steam inhalation may also be beneficial.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
cold air or hot air?

For you; steam inhalation is hot air. Kids do not tolerate it. There is a small home device called as nebulizer which is used for the treatment of the bronchial asthma. It vaporizes the medicines and that way it reaches deeper in the lung and is very effective. Your physician can advice you about it for both of you.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Edited by Dr. Arun Phophalia on 2/1/2010 at 12:35 PM EST