A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Ive been taking norcos in combination with higher strength

Customer Question

I've been taking norcos in combination with higher strength ibuprofen or naproxen for back pain, neck pain, migraines and occasional extreme knee pain from numerous occasions over the years where I have twisted my knees and torn ligaments/busted tendons, etc. A lot of the time, the norco/nsaid combo works just fine, especially for my migraines (in addition to a nice cold pack on my head and laying down). However, there have been times, especially with my back and also occasionally with extremely bad migraines, where they do not work and I find myself having to take higher doses that still don't get the job done. In years past, I tried every OTC med available for pain and none of them worked (same goes for most of my family). Tried every normal migraine med there is and none of them worked. My question is, because these are sometimes uneffective and I often have to take 2-3 norcos and 800mg of an NSAID to even get SOME relief, should I consult my doctor or a pain management specialist about potentially getting a stronger drug? There's days where the pain is quite manageable, but there are also days where it is excruciating and interferes with my overall quality of life and prevents me from doing many things. I do go to the gym, and sometimes I can't even go because of the back/knee pain, and other times, I come home from a workout and find my back in excruciating pain (and I work out with other people so I know I haven't overworked my muscles). Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. It is typical for regular use of narcotics to require higher and higher doses to accomplish the same level of pain relief. Your regular doctor should send you to pain management for pain control. A referral to orthopedics for your back and knees and neurology for your headaches might also be in order to try to find the reason for all the pain and correct the underlying reason.