Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

Im an overweight 23 year old female and I have never had any

I'm an overweight 23 year old female and I have never had any health issues in my life except for my blood pressure is a little high (130/82). I have recently lost 20 pounds. 2 months ago I started eating low carb and going to the gym at least twice a week. Well this week I've been going every other day and working out for almost an hour at a time and afterwards I caught my breath ok but then couldn't get a full breath in all day everyday since then on and off. Now I have constant pain in my sternum and chest that feels like acid reflux/heartburn and I have very bad nausea that just wont go away. Tums makes the acid reflux better only for a short period of time. Why am I feeling like this all of a sudden when I've been exercising like this for 2 months now? Could my body be telling me I have a heart condition that I don't know about? Also, this is really weird but the symptoms are almost completely relieved when I lay down. If it were acid reflux, wouldn't it get worse?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 4 years ago.

Did you have any test or treatment?

Did you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I have no insurance so I have not had any tests done. I have Insulin Resistance so that is why I am doing the low carb diet. That and high blood pressure are the only things I have ever had wrong with me.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

The appearance of pain in the sternal region & chest can be due to a few causes.

It can be due to muscle spasm, reflux ,pleurisy etc.

Sometimes anxiety , tension can also cause pain.

However ,the pain in the chest needs to be examined by doctor.

Heart disease needs to be excluded as you are having insulin resistance .

You should get an examination by doctor & if he thinks to have an EKG to
exclude any heart factor.

You can also try acid lowering agents like ranitidine or nexium till you see doctor.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Best wishes.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 35 years of experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does this make a difference...I have had a chest X-Ray and and EKG done all within the last 8-10 months and they were both normal. Does that help you any? Could I still have some type of heart problem that is being brought out by doing this diet and exercise routine?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 4 years ago.
EKG should be taken when there is pain.

So it needs to be repeated now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should I go to the ER? Does this sound serious?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 4 years ago.
You can go urgent care.

It can be acid reflux but as it developed after exercise, heart can be an issue in presence of insulin resistance.

We have to be careful.