Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Assistant Professor OB/GYN with 40 years of experience. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
12995549

DOCTOR RICH I HAVE FOR THE LAST 48 HOURS HAD SOME DISCOMFORT

DOCTOR RICH I HAVE FOR THE LAST 48 HOURS HAD SOME DISCOMFORT UNDER ONE OF MY ARMS IN THE SOFT TISSUE ON WAKING THIS MORNING I ALSO NOW HAVE IT UNDER THE OTHER ARM AND ON ONE SIDE OF MY GROIN.I WOULDNT SAY ITS PAINFUL BUT UNCOMFORTABLE. IVE JUST FINISHED A TWO WEEK COURSE OF CO AMOXICLAV FOR RECURRENT UTIS. DO I NEED TO BE CONCERNED. I PLAN ON GETTING AN APPOINTMENT WITH MY GP LATER IF I CAN BUT THIS IS BUGGING ME.
Dear residenboss; This location of discomfort is the location of major groups of regional lymph nodes (glands) and they are apparently reacting to a systemic hypersensitivity or allergy to the antibiotic. A two-week course with the same antibiotic is much too long. If an antibiotic doesn`t relieve all UTI symptoms after 4 days,a repeat culture is indicated. After seven days, an antibiotic should not be continued unless a repeat culture proves its efficacy. You should have been switched to a different drug if the UTI was still present after 7 days. For now, until blood count and repeat culture can be obtained, stop the antibiotic and see your GP. Good luck