Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

I have pericarditis, with trivial pericardial effusion as of

I have pericarditis, with trivial pericardial effusion as of echo 2 weeks ago. I was placed on IB and then on Naprozyn and Colchine. After four days of severe chest pain and gastric pain, I was changed to indomethacine ER. I have had normal EF findings on echo, I had a nuclear stress test last Thursday and haven't heard anything so I assume it is okay. The chest pain, which I think is now gastric plus pericarditis gets okay for a few days but the last two days - burning in the gut, pain up the middle of my chest and to the left, going into the jaw (maybe I'm clenching my jaw). Since all results have shown I have not had a heart attack, I am thinking the intensity of the pain is gastric. I am not taking Indomethacin any longer - I changed from Protonix to Prevacid OTC at the suggestion of the druggest. I have a fatty liver, am on a doctor controlled 800 cal diet with meal replacements (and have started adding a little food to see if that helps). I haverused a wedge to sleep, the
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 6 years ago.

Greetings,

In the back ground of trivial pericardial effusion in the echo 2 weeks back, though your nuclear stress test is normal, still new symptom of pain radiating to jaw is better to be investigated by a simple test of EKG. Often heart pain radiates to lower jaw. It is better to be safe than sorry. It will be prudent to get an EKG without delay to exclude any cardiac pain.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please ask.
Regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The pain radiating to the jaw is not new, and was happening when I was in the hospital on heart monitor - and was told the EKG was fine. The cardiologist said my heart is fine and that is not the reason for the pain. If it is an ulcer in the digestive track, can it wait until I call the doctor? I think they will think I'm stupid if I go in again to the ER with this same pain when I know at least it is pericarditis - but am suspecting gastric problems
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 6 years ago.
As the previous jaw and chest pain did not show anything change in the EKG, it may be that you are right. But I would prefer to do an EKG due to persistence of pain in spite of taking acid reducing medicine and pain killer. I would consult doctor to find out the cause.