Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

What are the recomendations for taking hydralazine My husband

What are the recomendations for taking hydralazine? My husband was in hospital last week and they sometimes did not give his usual dose when is bp was in normal range. Is it best to take bp and is in normal range to skip his dose?
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 6 years ago.
Hello.The purpose of the Blood pressure medication is not only to normalise the range of the blood pressure,it also prevents sudden elevations which may cause haemmorrhage in the cerebrovascular system causing strokes,damaging the retina and kidneys as also cardiac damage and Ischaemia.The fact that the blood pressure reading is normal should not make the patient skip his medication as that can be very dangerous for his health.This is more so in the geriatric age group where the cerebral aneurysms and vessels are more liable to rupture even with mild elevations of blood pressure.Strokes have been known to occur even in normotensives,hence we prefer keeping the blood pressure in our elderly patients on the lower side of normal.