CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

upper right and center of my chest that came and comes back

I was packing for a move this evening and suddenly got a sharp pain in the upper right and center of my chest that came and went. I took an aspirin and sat down and I'm fine but anytime I stand up, it comes back. I'm 50 years old and had a TIA 4 months ago which resulted in an emergency carotid endarterectomy. I've been fine since but wondering if I should be worried. All my tests (cholesterol, bp) are great - extremely low numbers. I don't want to over-react but I live alone and don't want to be stupid, either.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. Are you on an ace inhibitor?This is a group of anti-hypertensive meds that commonly cause this side effect.

Edited by CamilleRN on 2/1/2010 at 2:27 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I'm on a beta blocker and a statin and aspirin
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Is this pain at all affected by breathing?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, I take deep breaths and it's fine. It just hurts when i stand or walk around or bend over.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Chest pain on the right side is rarely due to a heart problem and may be due to gallbladder problems, liver inflammation,pulled rib muscles or chest wall strain. Have you been lifting heavy things today?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well yea, I did have to lift some heavy i don't have to worry?
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
I don't think so. Try a bag of frozen vegetables and use it as a ice pack over the area at 20 minute intervals. If it worsens and if you have any additional symptoms such as shortness of breath, dizziness, palpitations or nausea follow up with a Physician right away. I think you over did it today and need to take a break. I wish you the best:-)