CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

My wife has very bad case of Fibro Myalga for 6 months We are

My wife has very bad case of Fibro Myalga for 6 months We are on all kinds of pain meds But nothing gives her complete livable relief
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I am sorry your wife is having so much trouble. Fibromyalgia, as you know is a chronic condition that causes pain in muscles, ligaments and tendons and fatigue. It is believed that this may be due to something called central sensitization, which means that people with fibromyalgia have a lower threshold for pain due to increases in the brain's perception of the pain signals. This may be due to repeated nerve stimulation causing changes in the brain, causing an increase in neurotransmitters.The new medication change may make a noticible difference for her as it is believed that a combination of antiseizure medication ( she's taking Neurontin) Analgesic medication ( she's taking acetaminaphen and morphine) and antidepressant medication ( she will now be taking Prozac) is the best combination for optimal relief. Her Doctors are following the correct protocol by trying a different anti depressant... because while one doesn't seem to help, another one may, and it is possible he may have to make additional medication changes to try to find the right combination for her. Physical therapy is also helpful, and if she hasn't already tried that I would recommend it.

Edited by CamilleRN on 2/1/2010 at 9:29 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I want to be fair I was willing to pay the max of $35 However while verifying what I have been doing is nice to hear I wanted some new help which I have not received I want to pay you and not cheat you So either give me something new or charge me less I hope you understand my feelng

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.

Per Dr. Andrew Holman, fibromyalgia has many subgroups of patients. He states that "some fibromyalgia patients had enough cervical arthritis or bony abnormalities to in effect bruise the spinal cord in certain positions". Dr. Holman suggests that these patients should be "treated more like patients who had spinal cord injuries, using medicines that calmed overactive nerve fibers and reduced inflammation". One of the three approved medications for fibromyalgia - pregabalin (Lyrica) - does act in this fashion.

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
While I understand your concerns, I think that when you have a stipulation that it should be presented along with the question. Asking for something "new" in fibromylgia is very subjective as I have no way of knowing your individual knowledge base. As far as cutting edge treatments... the latest treatments, all have been listed in the above responses. I do hope your wife feels much better very soon:=)
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.