CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

Ive been taking Augmentin (875 mg) for lymph swelling for

I've been taking Augmentin (875 mg) for lymph swelling for two days. I have been itching and am flushed on one side of my face and neck. I was prescribed methylprednisolone last night to reduce the swelling of the neck area surrounding the lymph. Since the itching may be an allergic reaction to the Augmentin, and the Methylprednisolone is known to reduce inflammation and histamine, can I, or should I, take Benadryl tonight if the itching doesn't stop and to help me sleep? I plan to call my doctor first thing in the morning.

Hi and thank you for your question. I will do my best to help you .

When did the itching start...after the prednisone or before it?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I believe the itching started earlier in the evening yesterday before I started the prednisone.
I think you may have an allergic reaction to the clavulanate component of this antibiotic. People who have no problem with Penicillin sometimes react to this. Stop the antibiotic and continue the prednisone and yes you can take the benadryl also. Call your Doctor in the morning so he can prescribe another antibiotic, and don't forget to add this to your allergy list.