Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

hi I am suffering from anxiousity with agrophobia,I am currently

I am suffering from anxiousity with agrophobia,I am currently been on 10mg of lexpro and then my gp up it to 20mg which i been on nearly three week,so in total i been on lexpro for just on 2mths,but my gp want to keep me on 20mg for another 2weeks,but i tell her that i feeling worse,i dont want to get out of bed i just wish the days away,when i do get up i am shakey and have no energy to do anything,but she said just give it more time.
I was attending a anxiousity support group but that hasnt started up again since the holidays and also i was see a counsellor but my referall rang out so have to wait for my approval to go back to her so i told my doctor last week that i feel horrible but she said some medical take longer to work.on certain people that fine i know how it feel to feel this way as i have had time when i was young in a phys hospital just after my children were borne.I dont want to go back.
regards rhonda
Hi and t hank you for your question. She is right... it may take up to 8 weeks for this medication to really help you and often it makes you feel worse before you feel better. The worse is soon to be over and you really will start to feel better very soon. Hang in there and don't give up on the Lexapro.. you should start noticing improvement any time now.

I must also add, that it is important that you be evaluated again depending on how long it has been since you last saw your psychiatrist. If you have had a change or increase in your anxiety since you last saw your psychiatrist then it is important that they are made aware of this.

I would also suggest that you have your vital signs recorded, especially your pulse and blood pressure. If you do not have a monitor, then most drug stores will have a automatic BP machine that will take your BP and pulse. It is important that your anxiety is not so severe that your blood pressure and pulse rate are elevated above normal. This will also help to indicate whether or not you need to be evaluated more quickly or not.

Getting therapy started will be very important and helpful for you. Since you have agoraphobia and as well your therapy appointment has been delayed, I suggest that you make use of materials and techniques that you can begin to study and practice on your own. An excellent web site which is non-profit, that has great information including clear instructions to help you with relaxation exercises is below. You can read about anxiety, depression, panic disorder, etc. Not only that, but there are articles and activities to help with many other things that can help improve your over all health, including emotional expression, diet and exercise suggestion. I am linking you to the home page, if you look to the left and put your mouse on the topics you will see that there are additional topics under those main titles.

If you feel too distressed to read write now, you can go to this link and click the "meditation as medicine" link, you will find videos of relaxation exercises (there may be links to some on the helpguide site also -- look under stress relief.) This way you can sit back and relax while you listen to a meditation.

Or, just click here to go directly to a relaxation video:

If you find that you ever have feelings that you want to harm yourself, please call a hotline to talk to a live person. There are hotlines listed on the helpguide website.

If you have questions or comments related to my post, please feel free to reply.

Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS