Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

Colonoscopy prep. I just drank the liquid over the 2 hours

Customer Question

Colonoscopy prep. I just drank the liquid over the 2 hours as I was directed to but nothing has happened. Isn't is supposed to start working during the drinking?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 6 years ago.

Hello

What is the name of the prep that you drank?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Puralax. Drug store generic of purelax

Ok, thanks. Liquid colon prep such as this will take anywhere from 1-3 hours after you drink them...give or take an hour or so. If after this amount of time, you do not produce a bowel movement you will need to call the office in the AM and let them know that you were not able to produce a bowel movement and they will cancel your appointment. I'm afraid if you show up, you will be wasting your time because they will send you away. The colon will have to be clean in order to have the test. They chose to have you drink something like Magnesium Citrate or equivalent next time. But to answer your question, yes, after this long, you should be able to produce a bowel movement if you are going to.

***** Reply back if needed....Don't forget to click Accept if this information that I have provided has been helpful, I wish you the best! Hope this helps!********

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
CAn I take additional Ducolax or Purelax?

You can as long as you don't exceed the package directions for dosing.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm going to wait it out. The package refers to a smaller amount use per day. Doesn't say anything about using for this.

Thank you very much though!

That is probably a great idea. Good luck!