Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I was born with hip dysplasia on both sides. One side corrected

I was born with hip dysplasia on both sides. One side corrected itself within the range of normal (right); the other required surgery, which I had at age 3. Now I am 51 and my right hip is causing me great pain. When I am walking or shifting positions in the car, I feel instense pain in the front through the joint and it locks up so that I feel it won't support me. I am having it x-rayed tomorrow, but am still rather worried about this development. Any suggestions?
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 6 years ago.
Individuals with hip dysplasia are at increased risk for the development of arthritis. It is impossible to determine the cause of the pain, or the severity of any arthritis that you may have developed without an examination and X-ray.

If you have not yet been examined by an orthopedic surgeon, that would be my suggestion at this point. One of the over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen (Aleve) may be helpful in reducing pain and inflammation.