Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Will Norco and Vicodin show up as the same drug in a urine

Customer Question

Will Norco and Vicodin show up as the same drug in a urine test?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Yes, norco and vicodin both contain the same opiate-- hydrocodone. The urine drug screen will test positive with either drug.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Edited by Dr. Abby on 1/31/2010 at 5:27 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dr Abby,

The reason I ask that is because I am on pain management and I don't now if they test for different opiates or all the same calss of medicine. I would like to confirm that when they get the rerults they will be the same that vicodin and norco just show up as "opiate posititve and not say the "kind" of opiate. For example, vicodine -positive and norco -positive

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Usually a simple urine drug screen tests only for opiates.

I am not a pain management doctor. But I believe that you can be tested for the drug that you are prescribed. Many pain management doctors will send the sample for confirmatory testing.

While both drugs contain hydrocodone, I would only take the drug that you are prescribed. You are running the risk of being dropped from your program if you take something you are not prescribed. If the sample is sent for GCMS confirmation, which identifies the exact drug you are taking (vicodin versus lortab), your doctor can drop you for breach of contract.

Dr Abby