Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

what does uncovertebral hypertrophy and severe neural foraminal

what does uncovertebral hypertrophy and severe neural foraminal stenosis mean?

Hello and thank you for your question.

Uncovertebral hypertrophy means there is an extra growth of the cartilage located between the vertebrae. Osteophyte means there is a bone spur growing on one of the vertebrae in your neck. Severe neural foraminal stenosis means there is a severe narrowing of the spinal canal through which the spinal cord runs. This narrowing is impenging on the spinal cord. CSF stands for Cerebral Spinal Fluid which is the normal fluid found in the brain and in the spinal canal.

What all of this means you have severe narrowing of the canal through which your spinal cord runs in the neck area. This narrowing is caused by bonespurs and by overgrowth of cartilage tissue. This can cause you pain going down one of your arms, numbness, tingling and/or weakness.

I would suggest that you see a neurosurgeon to discuss possible surgery to relieve your symptoms.

I hope you find this information helpful. If you need any clarification or have any additional questions, please let me know and I will be glad to assist you further.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please click the green "ACCEPT" button, otherwise your deposit stays with JustAnswer and I do not get compensated for my work.

Best wishes,