CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I have right shoulder pain when I take a deep breath. I have

Customer Question

I have right shoulder pain when I take a deep breath. I have had it for 3 days.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. Do you have any pain with certain movements?
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.
This may be something called Costochondritis , which is inflammation of the cartilage of the rib cage, causing pain in the chest similar to angina pectoris ( Can hurt worse when taking a deep breath and when lying flat). It can be temporary ( a few weeks) or can be long lasting ( several months)it is more usually only a few weeks, and depending on the extent of the inflammation, can be quite painful. Costochondritis responds very well to anti-inflammatory medications (ibuprofen) and the use of ice packs (bags of frozen vegetables at 15 minute intervals are very helpful), and gentle stretching of the pectoralis muscles two to three times a day. Something you can do that may help you is proper breathing. You can help alleviate some of the pain with abdominal breathing. To abdominal breathe ( which is a much more effective breathing technique) place one hand on your abdomen and one hand on your chest... watch to see which rises. It should be the abdomen, NOT the chest.Practice breathing using your abdominal muscles... (to breathe with chest muscles causes fatigue and chest tightness) by taking in a deep breath through your nose.. making sure only the hand on your abdomen moves, slowly.. and exhale slowly through the mouth.. your abdomen should flatten with exhalation. Do this three breaths at a time. Breathing correctly will decrease the rib area pain. Definitely plan to get adequate sleep. Sleeping is so important for over all well being. I hope this information helps you. If I can help further just let me know. Please click ACCEPT. Thank you and I wish the best! :-)
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.
Please click ACCEPT. Thank you and I wish the best!