Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

Why wont my knee joint bend totally

Customer Question

Why won't my knee joint bend totally?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 4 years ago.

Hello!

Some further details would be helpful to hopefully narrow down your problem. Is this one knee that bothers you or both? How long has it bothered you? Are you aware of any injury that occurred prior to the start of the problem? Does the knee hurt? Do you notice any swelling?

It is likely that you may have some injury to the knee. An increase in fluid within the knee joint space will restrict its degree of movement. Most of the time these injuries benefit from an anti-inflammatory medicine such as Aleve and time.The longer the trouble has gone on and if you have pain , redness or swelling then you should have your doctor take a look at it.

I hope this information is helpful so far. If you respond to my questions then I might be able to be a bit more specific. Let me know if you have further questions as well. If my answer is helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank you and best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is both of my knees. I have not been able to fully bend my knee joint to stretch my quad ever since I started stretching for sports, I just could never do it. Every time I try to stretch my quad I would get to a certain point were I'd start feeling some pressure in my knees which keeps me from fully stretching my quad. If I try to force my legs to bend any more after a certain point I will have some soreness if in my knees afterwards. I wanted to know if there is some reason why and if I can get this fixed. I am a track athlete now, so flexibility is very important. I need to know if I can do anything to fix my problem.

Hello again!

Well don't force it as this might injure your knees. Everyone has a certain limit to the degree of flexion of their knees. Since I can't examine you I can be sure if what you describe is a physical limit that may be within normal or something pathologic. I would recommend that you have a physician take a look at it. Preferably an orthopedic specialist. Different individuals will have different limits of flexibility. It may be that your knee flexion is limited by the anterior cruciate ligament within the knee and/or other supporting structures of the knee. Since this is both knees and there is no history of injury and no pain or swelling then I think it is just your anatomy. I would say that you should stretch within your comfort zone but don't push this to the point of pain.

I hope this helps. Good luck,

Anthony Bray MD

Edited by Anthony Bray MD on 1/26/2010 at 3:04 AM EST