Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have blood in my urine and pain in my left side towards the

I have blood in my urine and pain in my left side towards the back, the pain comes and go's. last about 10 to 20 minutes. happens a couple of times aday. some say a kidney stone, if so why the blood? and will I ever pass this thing
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Greetings.

Kidney stone and ureter (tube which joins kidney and bladder for urine flow) stones are the commonest cause for your kind of symptoms. The stone erode the internal lining of the ureter or kidney and thus the blood in urine. An x-ray and ultrasound are diagnostic of the stone. Usually a small stone less than 6 mm will pass spontaneously. Bigger stone will need some sort of surgical treatment or ESWL, in which ultrasound waves break stones from outside. The other causes for blood in urine are;

1) Some growth, cyst in urinary tract

2) Urinary tract infection

3) Bleeding disorders

Please read this resource on blood in urine;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-in-urine/DS01013

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So again I ask you what should I do other then drinking lots of water, and how come sometimes my urine is clear and other times its not All this has taken place sence last friday, today is thursday.

As I mentioned, the assessment of the size is important by x-ray and an ultrasound, for the management decision. These investigations, gives an idea of not only the size but also the position in the urinary tract (in the kidney calyx, kidney pelvis, upper ureter, middle ureter etc). A bigger the stone size and upper the position; more the time would be needed for the passing out of the stone. Drinking more water, drinking Cranberry juice, avoiding alcohol and caffeine drinks are some of the conservative measures, which will help in early passage. If the urine examination shows some bacteria in urine an antibiotic is started (usually infection occurs in the presence of the stone). The antibiotic helps in the symptoms, especially the pain.

If the stone size is more than 6 mm, some sort of intervention is planned as above measures are not likely to benefit.

The urine color changes because the bleeding is intermittent by a stone (not continuous).

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun