Dr.S.A.Alam
Dr.S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(Internal medicine/cardiology) MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

When I bend my knee at a 90 degree angle and put pressure on

When I bend my knee at a 90 degree angle and put pressure on it (such as kneeling), I experience an extremely painful ripping sensation on the outside of the knee. There has been no injury, and there is no pain during normal daily activities. Because the pain is so specific to kneeling, and I have no injury to report, I feel a little silly telling my doctor about it.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.S.A.Alam replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to JA,

have you done any tests for this ?

is there any redness over the area ?

is there any clicking sound when you move your joint ?

any previous medical illness ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have not had this specific injury treated. (FYI, years ago, I saw an ortho for another knee problem -- I can't even remember which knee, now. Anyway, at the time he told me that both knees were "out of alignment", and, as I was obese, to expect knee problems when I got older. Also FYI, I have recently lost 80 pounds. I am working with a trainer five days a week, but as I said before, there was never an injury before the pain started about two weeks ago.)

There is no redness. As for clicking, I fear the knee might be compromised in the cartilage department: it pops and clicks constantly (even when I am just sitting on an exercise ball). However, it pops in a different location (the front), and there is no pain.

I have been diagnosed with gout, and prescribed Allopurinol. I have taken BP Rx for almost 20 years, but since I have lost weight, that has already been cut in half. I also have glaucoma, but that doesn't usually affect my knees. I take a joint support supplement, mostly because I slipped on ice last year and hurt my other knee.

Thank you for your input,

The most likely causes of symptoms in your knee are

1) arthritis/degenerative disease of the knee joint that has lead to formation of bony

spurs that give clicking sounds on moving the joint.

2) feeling of poping out occurs due to damage to the cruciate ligaments and this can

occur as a sequele of the arthritis/ degenerative joint diseases.

A simple clinical examination and x ray of the knee joint can diagnose this, an MRI of the

joint may be required to see the details anatomy.

When you bend your knee to maximum these bony spurs lead to pressing of the nerves

contained in the joint and surroundings that leads to pain.

This problem can be helped by

1) regular physiotherapy.

2) increasing the vitamin D and calcium supplements in your diet(milk, cheese contain calcium)

I hope this answers your question.
Dr.S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience: MBBS/FCPS(Internal medicine/cardiology) MRCP(R) U.K