Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

My son is 2yrs old. Hes had a fever of 101.7 for two days.

My son is 2yrs old. He's had a fever of 101.7 for two days. It does go down if medicated. Tonight I was brushing his teeth and he started crying. I looked and on the roof of his mouth behind his front teeth were red. It looked like blood, but it wasn't bleeding. Right next to that was a small bruise. Around his molars they were very swollen. He doesn't have his 2yr molars yet. What's going on?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for writing in tonight. Well, at this point, these areas of redness and the bruising-like discoloration is most likely related to a viral illness. Since your son is acutely ill, with a temp, chances are he has a virus. Viral illness frequently cause oral mucosa ulcers and excoriation. Most people think that fever blisters and viral related ulcers/sores only occur on the outside of the mouth and near the lips; however, the roof of the mouth is also a common place for these viral related problems. I suspect that this redness and bruise-like discoloration will clear up as soon as he gets over this virus. Now, another possibility and possibly an additional factor is questionable teething. Although early, teething (molars) could be erupting. At any rate, given his age, length of illness, fever, and oral problems, I would still recommend that he be seen by his pediatric provider. If anything, it is best to have a provider that knows the child confirm that this is nothing to be too concerned about. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa